27/08/2015

Serena Williams talks Black Pride in Tennis

The all-inspiring tennis champion adorns this week's cover page of New York Times magazines and in it talks about Black pride and how much she's happy for fellow tennis mate Maria Sharapova who was recently ranked higher than her by Forbes magazine, although ranked lower than her professionally. Here's what she had to say to NYT

"If they want to market someone who is white and blond, that’s their choice. I have a lot of partners who are very happy to work with me. I can’t sit here and say I should be higher on the list because I have won more.
I’m happy for her, because she worked hard, too. There is enough at the table for everyone. We have to be thankful, and we also have to be positive about it so the next black person can be No. 1 on that list. Maybe it was not meant to be me. Maybe it’s meant to be the next person to be amazing, and I’m just opening the door. Zina Garrison, Althea Gibson, Arthur Ashe and Venus opened so many doors for me. I’m just opening the next door for the next person."
I think she has achieved so much for herself and also done well for the Black community.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment